Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Meal Combination


Kabuli Chana” has always been one of our favorite ingredients. It could be cooked in a variety of ways. If you ask most of the South Indians, we would say that it tastes the best with a “Batura”. But considering the health conscious attitude of everyone I think a “Batura” is a “NO NO” these days. I did not want to make Chole either so I decided on “Amritsari Chana”, the recipe of which I had for the last 8 years.
As I soaked the Chana, I was thinking on what I must make as the main dish. I also remembered
that this was my 10th post so I thought I would make it extra special. So I finalized a mixed veg paratha. Voila!! I had arrived at a good combination, to add some variety to it I also decided on a “Boondi Raita”. So my final list was Mixed Veg Paratha
Amritsari Chana
Boondi Raita (I used haldiram’s RTE)
Though it took a long time to prepare this, the final outcome tasted well. The smell and flavor which wafted through my house cannot be described by words. Hope you would enjoy them too. So check them out.
Mixed Veg Paratha
Whole Wheat Atta – 2 cups
Tomatoes – 1 large (remove the seeds and finely chop)
Onion – 1 large finely chopped
Ajwain (Carrom seeds) – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 3 finely chopped
Salt to taste
Water
Ghee
Method
Mix all the ingredients into a dough. Allow it to rest for an hour. Divide the dough into 10 pieces. Roll it out and cook on a girdle lined with a little ghee. Serve hot.

Amritsari Chana
Kabuli Chana - 2 cups (soaked overnight and boiled)
Ghee – 2 tbspns
Onions (finely chopped) – 2 medium
Pasted of 1 onion
Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 tbspn
Cinnamon – ½ inch stick
Cloves – 4 nos
Cardamom – 4 nos
Green chillies – 2 finely chopped
Roasted and Powdered cumin & pepper seeds – 1 tbspn
Tomato Puree – 2 medium
Whipped curd – ½ cup
Kashmiri Mirch – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Coriander finely chopped for garnishing
Method
Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the onions and fry till golden. Add the ginger garlic and the onion paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and the green chillies, and fry for a minute. Add the tomato puttee, mix well and allow the mixture to cook for 3 minutes. Take the pan of fire and add the curd to the mixture (this prevents curdling). Also add the turmeric powder and the kashmiri mirch, mix well. Finally, add around 1 cup of water along with the boiled chana to the mixture. Close the lid and allow it cook till the ghee separates out on top. Garnish with Coriander and serve hot.