Thursday, June 26, 2008

A colourful rice


Its rains here in Secunderabad! Hurray the much awaited break from the heat. Another morning after some short spells of rains! The perfect weather to curl up and dream of that hot hot cup of "Chocolate" with foam and that wonderful smell!!! Then comes the moment of truth that hot cup would not reach your lips if you did not get up. Stark reality.
One look at the watch I realize I am late. I have to prepare breakfast and lunch. Breakfast had still another hour to go, so whats for lunch was my thought. As I looked into my crisper a big grin came over - for Voila!! I had a huge colorful range of vegetables the last of them from my last weeks shopping. So I decided to make what I am good at. A mixed colorful rice. I must tell you, I am not a very good cook. But give me some veggies, boiled beans and some rice I can dish out some very good mixed rice but it is always once. I would never repeat the combination of spices that I used for it again. So this time what is it?? Check it out!!
Ingredients
Basmati Rice - 1 cup (cook in your way with some mixed herbs)
Vegetables finely chopped 1 - 1/2 cups
(I have used red, yellow and green bell peppers, carrots, baby corn, onion, french onions, you could add in all possible vegetables that you like)
Garlic - 6 cloves finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece finely chopped
Olive Oil - 1 tblspoon
Dried red chillies - 2 finely chopped
Salt to taste
Method
In a kadhai heat the olive oil. When hot add the ginger and garlic and fry till the flavours get released. Then add all the veggies. Mix well and allow them to cook for 2 minutes. Then add the salt and and the chillies and cook for another 2 minutes. Since the veggies are finely chopped it will cook faster. Remove from fire and mix well with the rice.
This would also be my entry to the "Mixed Rive Varieties Event" hosted by "Simple Indian Food - An easy cooking blog. Hope you like it!

1 comment:

EC said...

Thats indeed a very colourful rice..thanks for participating