Monday, June 30, 2008

Open Sesame 2


Wonder what it is? It is the title of the event conducted by Siri of Siri’s Corner. A nice interesting one, with the ingredient hidden in a riddle and then we try to make a dish with the ingredient. I found it interesting so I decided to participate. The following is the riddle which I got:
A moniker in my name for a city
A phrase with me will make you cherished
I am so good for you in my utter simplicity
In Medical dictionary the fact so furnished
I am so famous in the world of bytes
Known for many aspects of usage
I am fat and rotound and make crunchy bites
My fame known from many religious traditions - right from the old age
Am, I forbidden? Or mystical ? or the eternal giver of Youth
I consists of five internal carpels
Am good for good health of your mouth
I am as basic a fruit as you can think of
Or as hard if you dont try enough
If You eat me on a day to day basis
Then you dont have worry about anything - be it cold or dry cough

The answer to it was “APPLE”.
This riddle solving was of course 2 weeks back. Then I thought and thought and thought what do I make with an apple? I could not come up with anything. Well I told myself better luck next time with the ingredient.

Well my thoughts drifted off. What did Open sesame remind me of? What else - Alibaba and the 40 thieves. I realized that it had been ages since I read that story. Well I decided I must read it up and again and I started browsing the TV channels and guess what - this movie was going on in Tamil in one of the Channels. It was hilarious to watch Mr MGR & Mrs Bhanumathy along with the rest of their retinue. But to think of it, the movie was around 50 to 60 years old and the gimmicks, gizmos and stunts almost matched the recent times. It did not have Dolby effect etc and but to think of it, they had already done all this with almost no technology. Ooh! It was great.
Well getting back to my APPLE, yesterday when I realized it was the last day to submit the entry I came up with this idea. I tried it out and it did taste well. So check it out.
Apple Salad
Ingredients
Apple – 2 nos. finely chopped (I have used the green variety of apple, it was crunchier)
French Onions – 10 finely chopped
Tomatos – 1 medium (remove the seeds and finely chop)
Red Onion – 1 small finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tblspn
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
A pinch of pepper
A drop of balsamic vinegar
Method
Toss all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate until serving time.
Note: Ensure that the apples are well coated with the apple juice otherwise it changes color fast and it unappetizing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The rice was wholesome and the apple salad needs something to be washed down with

Shanks