Wednesday, August 13, 2008

18th day of the Aadi month


Adi Pathinettam perukku was celebrated on August 3rd this year. A significant day in the life of the thousands of farmers who wade across muddy slush to sow their new crop. I believe the "River Kaveri" is in full flow on this day, thereby blessing the farmers. Being city bred, this is a piece of news seen in some "Tamil movie". For me this is the day when you get to eat all the "kalantha sadam" i.e., mixed rices. My mother always used to make Lemon Rice, Pulihora, Coconut Rice, Chakkra Pongal, Poli, Vadai, Paruppu Payasam and of course the vadam & vattals. The last 4 years were spent trudging to office and hectic deadlines. This year I decided to recreate my mother's dishes. Well with just 2 people at home it is usual very difficult to make too many dishes so I just shortenend the menu and this is what it was finally - Coconut Rice, Lemon Rice, Pulihora, Curd Rice, Avial, Potato curry and Paruppu payasam. I was making Coconut rice for the first time, it turned out heavenly so did the avial - so check it out. This time I am just sharing the photograph

No comments: