Monday, August 25, 2008

Cinnamon Flavored Vegetables


If you are trying to figure out the cuisine, let me help you out - its very much Indian. From the time I started blogging I have been wanting to participate in the "Think Spice" event, but most of the time I really could not figure what to do with the said spices. This time I saw that I could use any spice so I narrowed down on "Cinnamon". Now why "Cinnamon"? The answer is very simple I have a huge quantity of them and do not know in what to add them. I know they are good for the heart so I thought let me make a beginning here.
Let me get back, I wanted to use cinnamon as the only flavoring agent. After a lot of contemplation, I conjured up a dish with lots of vegetables and my husband did the namkaran after enjoying its flavor and taste. This would be my entry for the "Think Spice - Think favorite 1st anniversary" event.
Along with this I had also made some "Tikkar". I have used Maize flour along with the regular whole wheat flour. This is the first time I am trying. I sure was happy with the result. So here they are for you -
Cinnamon Flavored Vegetables
Ingredients
Vegetables of your choice - 1 cup
(I have chopped and added Aubergines, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots and French Beans)
Oil - 2 tblspn
Bay leaf - a small piece
Salt to taste
Cinnamon finely powdered - 1 tblspn
Chilli powder, Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp each
Curd - 1 tblspn
Method
Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the bay leaf. Add all the vegetables and the chilli and turmeric powder. Mix well and allow to cook on slow flame. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the curd. Keep on fire till the vegetable is dry, then add salt and mix well again. Finally add the cinnamon powder mix well and switch off the flame. Serve hot with rotis or rice.
Tikkar
Maize Flour & Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup each
Grated onion - 1 medium size
Ginger minced - 1" piece
Green Chillies finely chopped - 2
Coriander finely chopped - 1 tblspn.
Ghee - 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
Method
Sieve both the flours together. Add ghee and mix till the flour becomes like bread crumbs. Then add the rest of ingredients and mix it into a soft dough. Add water as required. Cover and keep the dough for a minium of an hour. After an hour ply the dough again and make 8 balls of it. Roll it round and fry them on a hot girdle. Once it is cooked add ghee on both sides to keep it soft. Serve hot otherwise the tikkar becomes rough.

1 comment:

sunita said...

Thanks you for your lovely entry...glad you could participate :-)