Sunday, August 24, 2008

A complete meal


I was introduced to "Pasta" around 5 years back by my husband. Honestly speaking I hated it at the first go. I had to force myself to finish my portion. I felt it had a rubbery texture and with cheese put in, it definitely did not suit my palate. But over years I slowly grew to like it and now it has become a favorite on our dining table. I usually make it with a sauce but this time I decided I would use only vegetables. I prefer "Penne" to "Farfalle" or "Macroni", but I had to make do with "Bell Tubes". The best thing I liked about this dish was that the veggies had not become very soggy and were still crisp when we bit into it.
Ingredients
Bell Peppers (Green, Yellow & Red) - 1/2 of big size (each cut into thin strips )
Aubergines (Brinjals) - 1 long one (cut into thin round slices)
Tomatoes - 1 (cut into thin strips)
Beans - 5 - 10 (cut into thin strips)
Onions - 1 medium size (cut into thin strips)
Carrots - 1 medium size (cut into thin strips)
Garlic - 5 pods (finely chopped)
Ginger - 1" piece (finely chopped)
Red Chillie - 1 finely choppped
Oregano, Basil and Parsley (dry) - 1 tblspoon (all put together)
Salt to taste
Olive Oil - 2 tblspn
Cheddar Cheese - 2" piece
Bell Tubes - 2 teacups (boiled in the usual fashion)
Method
Add Olive oil in a pan and heat it. When oil is hot add the garlic, ginger and red chilli and flavour the oil. Then add the onions followed by the aubergines saute for 2 minutes then add the rest of the vegetables and mix well. Keep over fire till the vegetables are cooked, since the vegetables have been cut in thin strips and are of the same size, it would be done in 3 - 4 minutes time. Then add the mixed herbs and salt mix well and allow it to stand for another minute. Finally add the pasta toss well, add the grated cheese and switch off the fire. Cover with a lid. The cheese will melt in the heat of the vegetables.

No comments: