Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back again


When EC mailed me the details of the “Easy Breezy breakfast” theme for MBP this month, I decided to begin again. I have been experimenting a lot these last three months but somehow never got to take photographs or write about them. Hope this breaks the spell.

Breakfast time has always been a favorite time for us. Apart from fresh fruits and juices a good breakfast preferably South Indian with a good accompaniment is always a must for us. I have made this a practice from the time we moved here. Adai happens to be one of our favorite breakfasts or may I say brunch. At times I use the mini version of it as an appetizer too. “Adai” is a very dry item and goes well with a gravy dish. So for the accompaniment I chose to make an “Avial” a vegetable dish from the God’s own country “Kerala”.

My version of the Adai is the same as EC’s so I am not repeating the ingredients or the method. A small tweaking which I have done is including a ripe tomato to the batter ingredients.

For the Avial
Assorted Vegetables - 2 cups boiled
(Drumstick, Ashgourd, red pumpkin, potato, colocassia, yam, cucumber, carrots, capsicum, brinjals, French beans, flat beans)
Curd – ½ cup
For the gravy
Coconut (medium size) – ½
Green Chillies – 5 or 6
Jeera (Cumin) – 1 tblspn.
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Rice – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind all the ingredients with sufficient water to a consistent smooth paste. Take a heavy bottom vessel and add all the boiled vegetables and the gravy and allow it cook on medium flame. When the gravy is cooked remove the kadhai from the fire and the curd to it, mix well, return to the fire and cook for another minute or two. Finally temper the avial with mustard and curry leaves. Use coconut oil preferably.

No comments: